Mom's Daily Tests & Meds - Current

A continuation of Mom's Daily Tests & Meds

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Contents of Hospice Comfort Pack

    At my request, the Hospice RN who visited yesterday went through the contents of our refrigerated Comfort Pack and explained the Hospice purposes of all the meds therein contained. Following is what I learned:
  • Morphine Sulfate:  See Morphine Manual
  • Acetaminophen Suppository 650 mg:  For difficulty swallowing and/or end-of-life fever
  • Haloperidol 2mg/ml:  For nausea or severe agitation
  • Ativan (loracepam) 1 mg:  For anxiety, usually, in the case of respiratory patients, due to difficulty breathing; often used with morphine
  • Prochlorper 10 mg tablets and 20 mg suppositories:  For nausea
  • ABHR:  Suppository for nausea
  • Hyoscyam 0.125 mg/ml:  To quiet death rattle at end-of-life; when the RN told me this I immediately asked, "Is this for the patient's comfort or for the family's comfort?"
    "You're on the button," she replied. "It's for the family."
    "Ah," I said. "Then I probably won't be using it. Over the years I've gotten used to a variety of noises coming from my mother. If she's comfortable and peaceful, I can't see any reason to quiet her death rattle."
    Please note, these explanations, above, are not extensive and there is a lot of information they don't include. I wasn't looking for a PDA explanation...merely a thumbnail sketch of why we have them and how we might use them. The RN underlined that before using any of them, at least for the first time, I should always contact Hospice for approval and direction, and, of course, I will.

5 Comments:

  • At May 27, 2011 at 2:12:00 AM MST, Anonymous Marlon said…

    I heard before that hospice patients might get heavy doses of morphine. Well I think that is not true because in hospice services, the nurse will carefully monitor the medication of each patient.

     
  • At September 14, 2011 at 9:27:00 AM MST, Blogger dkrizik said…

    Thanks for posting this. My Mom is also in hospice care, and we were talking this morning and she was starting to think that this box basically held a "suicide kit". She's prone to a little negative thinking these days...So I did a search and found your post and read it to her and helped calm her thoughts about it. We're going to ask our hospice nurse when she comes, but having information immediately was great. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Hope you are doing ok.

     
  • At September 15, 2011 at 11:26:00 AM MST, Blogger Gail Rae said…

    dkrizik,
    Thank you so much for your comment! I am very, very pleased that this information helped you. It's been a long time since I've posted here, since my mother died in December of 2008. It was, by the way, a "good death", in the sense that my mother didn't realize she was dying. She thought she had a bad cold and would "be fine" once it was over. In a way, I guess, she was right! Because of her incredible desire to live, I wasn't sure she was dying until she actually stopped breathing.
    I decided then, though, even though I knew I would no longer be posting, to keep all these blogs active on the web, just in case someone might find the information useful. It's rewarded to discover that someone has!
    Hospice was responsible for making the last six months of my mother's life much easier and much more satisfying than I think it would have been otherwise, primarily because of the information they were able to provide and their incredible sensitivity to individual situations. I hope the same for you and your mom. Very, very good wishes and thoughts to you and your mother, dkrizik.
    Gail

     
  • At December 6, 2011 at 7:23:00 PM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    seems like murder to me

     
  • At December 7, 2011 at 9:44:00 AM MST, Blogger Gail Rae said…

    Anonymous,
    Your comment is certainly an opinion. To my mind and apropos of my experience with my mother's hospice care, it is an uninformed and thoughtless opinion, but, it is an opinion.
    In addition, hospice care is never a requirement, it is always a choice. Many do not choose it. If and when the time comes that such a choice is presented to you or your loved ones, you and your loved ones will be free not to choose it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home