Mom's Daily Tests & Meds - Current

A continuation of Mom's Daily Tests & Meds

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Partial Stat Day:

AM Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1332
    Reading:  198
AM 60" Dig Temp:
    Not taken

PM Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2059
    Reading:  219
 

Medication Changes:
  • 200 mg ibuprofen with breakfast
  • 200 mg ibuprofen with buttered, cinnamoned toast before nap
  • 200 mg ibprofen at dinner
  • Extra glipizide with toast before nap because of high "am" BG
  • Extra glipizide with dessert because of high "pm" BG
  • 4th breathing treatment able to be administered at 0145 just before bed
  • Skipped Prune Juice; see Miscellaneous BG Notes below
    Dinner:  Roast chicken thigh, about 1/2 cup Brussels Sprouts with Greek Veta Vinaigrette dressing, about 3/4 cup loaded stuffing with lots of added, sauteed vegetables; 1 slice Costco Double Chocolate Cream pie
    Miscellaneous BG Notes:  I've decided to try a few strategies to attempt to lower her BGs:
  1. The first, which I did today, is to administer two extra glipizide when both her BGs are very high, as they were today.
  2. The second is to switch from Prune Juice to ducosate sodium (Colace) as a stool softener. I thought I'd start with an every other evening dose, see how that works and increase it, if necessary. I did not administer it this evening since last night was a Prune Juice night. As well, our supply of ducosate sodium is expired so the nurse ordered us more.
  3. I may try cutting out desserts, but this is going to be difficult, since my mother is so used to dessert, now, and so loves it that, generally, if I don't get around to serving it sometime after dinner, she asks for it. I may scale back to desserts like canned Mandarin orange slices, which she loves and considers a legitimate dessert, and/or "do" rich desserts maybe only two to three times a week. As well, I pretty much agree with the Hospice philosophy: "Why not?" when it comes to desserts, and other things. I wasn't able to discuss Hospice's medical philosophy behind the assumption that her glipizide will eventually be discontinued, but I will next week.
Sleep:
  • Awake at 1300
  • Down for nap at 1715
  • Up from nap at 2100
  • Down for night at 0200
  • Awake 9.25 hours

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home